Neuroimmunology is the field of medicine that deals with diseases of the brain, spine and nerves triggered by in the immune system.
MS is a well-known disease that is caused by inflammation in parts of the brain and spine. MS is treated by changing the way the immune system works through treatment.
In most diseases the immune system is overactive. Management and treatments general reduce and change the intensity of the immune reactions. Specialized, focused treatment is usually required because physical, emotional and cognitive symptoms are typical in this disorders .
The team at Neurology Network Melbourne include some of the most experienced and well respected specialists in the field of Neuroimmunology.
- Dr Katherine Buzzard has sub-speciality training in the field and works at Box Hill and Fitzroy
- Dr Martin Short has significant research interests in the field and works at Fitzroy
- Dr Olga Skibina has sub-speciality training in the field and works at Box Hill
- Dr Mahi Jasinarachichi has sub-speciality training in the inflammatory muscle and nerve disorders
- Dr Katrina Reardon has extensive clinical and research experience in the field; she works at Fitzroy
- Dr Luke Chen has sub-speciality training in the field and works at St Kilda Rd, Fitzroy and Box Hill
- All of our neurologists are experienced in treating and managing MS and immunological conditions that affect the central and peripheral nervous system.
The immune system can cause disease of the nervous system in a number of different ways, effecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves or muscles. Some relatively common conditions that our team treat include:
Treatment of these conditions benefit from a high level of experience in the field, cooperation with multidisciplinary teams and often access to inpatient or day-patient therapies. Our team of specialists manage patients across a number of private and public hospitals.